2.03.2010

Day In The Life: Daniel Koye

Lovies, some of you have asked me what it’s like working in New York City as a celebrity hair designer and wig stylist. I’m in motion six days a week with one day off to rest and relax. Today, I’m starting a new blog series that will give you a glimpse into what it’s like to be behind the scenes, working on photo shoots, theatrical productions, weddings and private clients. While the venues may change, my goal is always the same – to create flawless hair designs and styles.


So, what’s a typical day like for me? I usually wake up around 7:45 a.m., shower, and dress. Then, I’m on the road traveling from New Jersey to NYC. I’m frequently working on a photo shoot will last from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. As a hair stylist for photo shoots, I create one or two looks for one model, working throughout the day to make sure the hair stays perfect and photo ready.


Around 4:00, when the shoot is over, I grab a cup of coffee and a bite to eat. Then, I’m off to Broadway, to the rough and tumble atmosphere of live theatre. As you know, I’m doing hair and wig styling for Hair at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre at 302 West 45th Street (between 8th and 9th Ave). I arrive at the theatre around 5:30 p.m. and begin styling the wigs for the 8:00 p.m. show. It’s a fast-paced night, getting three to five wigs ready for the actors, then doing cues (a quick styling that takes a few seconds) during the show backstage and behind the audience. My typical routine goes something like this:

6:45 p.m. Michael James Scott arrives for his wig.
7:00 p.m. Josh Lehman comes in for his wig,
7:30 p.m. Ato arrives, and I style his hair.
7:40 p.m. Steel Burkhart arrives, and I style his hair
7:45 p.m. Nichole Lewis shows up for her wig
8:20 p.m. I do a backstage cue for Andrew Koeer.
8:30 p.m. Another cue, this time for Josh Lehman
9:30 p.m. It’s time for the mustaches
10:15 p.m. Another cue, this time for Gavin Creel
10:30 p.m. After the dance party onstage, the show ends, and the actors come to the hair room where I remove their wigs and place them on Styrofoam heads where they wait for the next show.


I usually eat dinner or a snack while the show is going on. On occasion, a celebrity guest will show up. The other night, Patti LuPone, whose I styled for Gypsy, came backstage to watch the show with her son, and we chatted.

While my life can glamorous and exciting, it can be downtown tedious at times to create those breezy, effortless looking celebrity styles. One of the things I enjoy most about this blog is hearing from those of you who follow me on Twitter and read this blog. It reminds me that sharing celebrity tips and trends gleaned from my work in the Big Apple gives you special insider info that helps you stay confident, sexy, and fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment